<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Another deep breath 

That's right, I never left my day job - 64, and I'm a substitute teacher, in a welding shop of a high school. The guy had a computer, so I'm updating my blogs, thinking of beginning a poetry project, and reflecting on the nature of poetry in general (see articles on instagram poetry below).

My six or seven volumes of haiku never went anywhere in particular; and, they pressured me. I pressured myself to write a thousand in a year, until I was sick of writing it, and didn't want to write another haiku. My next project, if it comes to pass, will have no such deadline. e pluribus haiku: the novel will be enormous and substantial, but might take five years. whatever, i will plug away with it and keep you informed here.

a poet friend of mine, Tony Hoagland, died recently. I knew him in Iowa City and, though I don't remember clearly, we had good times together. He took the Writer's Workshop route, and I wanted to get a hold of him to discuss the relationship between actualism and the Workshop; he became an established poet, and taught at various universities. He died in Santa Fe, and I plan to write something about him, if not include him in my novel about Iowa City and actualism, which is still on the back burner. Here is a good obituary of him, and I hope, myself, to come back to this spot, read it more carefully, and ruminate. He did, after all, take the other path. I could have done the English major thing, and I knew it, and avoided it like the plague, and in fact, still do (I am qualified to teach English, and can't bring myself to do it). He was a friend though. I often wonder, if I had gone that route, would I too be dead at the age of 64. I too am 64.

So the instagram poetry articles are, basically, for my haiku novel. The main character will be an instagram poet. His love interest hangs Warhol exhibits in major metropolitan museums. Their love is eternal.

And that's all. Good night.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
  (0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?